This delicious loaf is the perfect after-school snack, or a simple treat to bake with the kids on the weekend. It’s sweet and is loaded with all sorts of different flavours like orange and cinnamon. Pop a slice in the toaster with some butter… so good!
210g plain flour
200 g sugar
1 tsp baking soda
300 g pumpkin puree (tinned)
60 ml olive oil
60 ml vegetable oil
2 eggs, beaten
60 ml orange juice
1/3 tsp nutmeg
75 g walnuts, roughly chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC, or gas mark 4. Then, get out all your bowls, loaf tin, and your apron and spatulas.
2. In the small bowl mix the pumpkin puree, olive oil, vegetable oil, eggs and orange juice. Stir well and set aside.
3. In the large bowl mix the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and the three spices and make sure they’re all well blended before going on to the next step.
4. Pour the wet mixture into the large bowl with the dry ingredients and briefly mix. Finally, add the chopped walnuts and stir gently to combine.
5. Spoon the mixture out into the tin, place it in the centre of the oven and bake for 50 minutes. Keep your eye on it and check it at around 40-45 minutes in case it’s done early. Use a skewer or a tooth pick to prick the centre to make sure that it’s cooked all the way through. Once you’re sure it’s done, take it out and allow to cool on a wire rack. Slice and enjoy!